Struggle to get enough to eat?
Do you worry that you, your family or friends will have enough to eat?
Eating well can help us feel our best and make a big difference to our health. But, an estimated 1 in 10 people in the UK say that they are struggling to get enough to eat. This affects about 22,000 adults in Greenwich as well as a large number of children.
If you, or people you know are struggling to get enough to eat, there is local support available in Greenwich. As well as support with food there are services that can help you with money available for food e.g. are you getting all the benefits you are entitled to? Do you need support managing debt? Or finding a job? To find out where to go for local help and support, call Livewell Greenwich on 0800 470 4831 or check local services here.
Making your money go further
Below are some top tips to make shopping cost-effective:
- The average family with children in the UK throws away around £60 of food a month. Plan meals before shopping and check what you already have to reduce food waste.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it.
- Save £1,500 by buying supermarket ‘own brands’ and ‘value’ products, which are just as good.
- Don’t be tempted by special offers on things you don’t need, as this will mean you spend more.
- Shop around to find better deals. Markets are a great source of reasonably priced fruit and veg.
- Attend a Community Cookery Club to find out how to cook at home using basic ingredients. This is cheaper and healthier than buying ready-meals and takeaways.
- Save your leftovers for lunch the next day.
Helping you Live Well in Greenwich
Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831
Mon-Thurs 8.30am-7.30pm Fri 8.30am-5.30pm Sat 9am-12 noon
(a message can be left outside of these hours).