Greenwich Play Streets
Play Streets give kids the chance to play freely and safely on their doorstep.
Neighbours agree to temporarily close their street to traffic to help kids move more and have fun.
How do I apply for a Play Street?
If you’d like a Play Street in your local area in Greenwich:
- First, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if your street is eligible (i.e. residential with no bus route).
- Once it is confirmed your street is eligible, talk to your neighbours about having a Play Street.
- Build up support for a Play Street. We recommend you have the support of five residents on your street. Download a letter template to give to your neighbours.
- Have your five neighbours sign in support of Play Streets.
- Submit the application form and your five supporting signatures
- Plan a Play Street trial date. Play Streets are a regular event, but it’s a good idea to begin with a one-off ‘trial’ play street session so everyone sees for themselves how great it is.
How can we help?
If your application is approved, the Royal Borough of Greenwich provide the hi-vis vests and temporary traffic signs that you need. Play Street volunteers can store these for use at future events. We will also be available to meet your volunteer team before the first event, to show you how to close the road.
Benefits of Play Streets
- More active, happy children (with friends next door)
- Friendlier, safer communities (where people know their neighbours)
- Regular opportunities for everyone to have fun
Helping you Live Well in Greenwich
Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831
Mon-Thurs 8.30am-7.30pm Fri 8.30am-5.30pm Sat 9am-12 noon
(a message can be left outside of these hours).