Feeding your baby
It’s never too early to start thinking about how you’re going to feed your baby. Whether you choose to breast or formula feed, it’s important to explore all available options.
Close, loving relationships. Babies enjoy and benefit from:
- Skin to skin contact – especially when unsettled or irritable
- Eye contact and being held close to you while feeding
- Responsive feeding (following your baby’s feeding cues).
- Quiet time with you and other close family members
Breastfeeding is the healthiest choice for mums and babies with lots of proven benefits:
- Helps mum and baby to bond.
- Breast milk is available for your baby whenever they need it.
Breastfeeding drop-ins in Greenwich help mums to:
- Get started with breastfeeding.
- Support mums with any breastfeeding concerns.
- Answer any breastfeeding questions and provide information on formula feeding.
- Prepare for returning to work.
Breastfeeding Friendly Greenwich
Breastfeeding Friendly Greenwich makes it easier for you to find places where you can breastfeed your baby when you are out and about in Greenwich. It’s your legal right to breastfeed anywhere, but many mums feel uncomfortable breastfeeding when out and about, due to sometimes inappropriate facilities and negative responses.
Look out for the Breastfeeding Friendly Greenwich sticker in cafes, restaurants, libraries, leisure centres and more around the borough, where you can be sure it will be a safe and welcoming place for you to breastfeed your baby.
Starting your baby on solid food
Introducing solid foods (weaning), should start when your baby is around 6 months old. This is when their stomach should be developed enough to cope with foods other than milk. To find out more and pick up some handy tips, visit Start4Life.
Greenwich 0-4 Health Visiting Service hold Well Baby clinics, where you can bring any questions about starting solid foods with you. To find out where your nearest one is, visit Well Baby Clinics.
Helping you Live Well in Greenwich
Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831