Looking after your teeth
Taking good care of your teeth and your children’s teeth is important to keep trips to the dentist to a minimum.
Top tips for teeth
Be Sugar Smart
- Avoid sugary food and drink before bedtime.
- Sugary food should be consumed less often and only at mealtimes.
- Limit drinks with added sugar like fizzy drinks and juice.
- Remember, plain water or milk are best
Brushing twice is nice
- Make sure your kids clean their teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Help them brush once before bed and once at any other time that suits you and your family.
Visit the dentist regularly
Detecting problems early can mean they’re easier to treat.
It’s free to visit an NHS dentist if you are:
- Under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education
- Pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months
- Receiving low income benefits
Check here for who is entitled to free NHS dental treatment in England.
Looking after your baby’s teeth
- You can start brushing your baby’s teeth as soon as they start to come through
- Use a baby toothbrush with a tiny smear of fluoride toothpaste
- Visit here for tooth brushing tips for babies.
Helping you Live Well in Greenwich
Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831
Mon-Thurs 8.30am-7.30pm Fri 8.30am-5.30pm Sat 9am-12 noon
(a message can be left outside of these hours).