Sugar Smart Greenwich
Get Sugar Smart
From cola and chocolate to ketchup and soup, it’s not always easy to tell if our diet is high in sugar. There can be a lot of sugar in everyday food and drinks.
To cut down on sugar, try these tips:
- check front of pack labels to help you pick items with less added sugar.
- make healthy swaps. Switch sugary drinks for sugar free, diet or no added sugar drinks instead – water is best!
- reduce the amount of sugar you use in your recipes
Sugar Smart Greenwich – cutting down on sugar as a borough
Sugar Smart Greenwich supports local organisations and businesses, schools and leisure centres, to limit unhealthy options and promote healthier, lower sugar alternatives.
Simple pledges related to food, drink and advertising might include:
- removing junk food from your checkouts or swapping biscuits for fruit at meetings
- promoting free drinking water
- removing all adverts for products high in sugar
- delivering workshops or presenting displays on sugar content in drinks
Since its launch in January 2017, 60 local organisations have joined the campaign. This includes 10 Greenwich Schools, University of Greenwich’s caterer Baxter Storey, Charlton Athletic Football Club and The Greenwich Alliance for Voluntary Services (GAVS).
Sign up to be Sugar Smart
Join the campaign by making a pledge to make some simple changes to what you offer. This way, you can motivate change by helping local people and your community to get ‘Sugar Smart’.
To sign up to Sugar Smart Greenwich or to simply find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helping you Live Well in Greenwich
Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831