Help with housing

15th August 2022

Financial housing support

You may qualify for help with rent through the benefits system. Anyone can claim benefits – including homeowners and private tenants.

Discretionary housing payment

If your rent is not met in full by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and you have a temporary situation which makes it difficult to pay your rent, you can apply for extra help in the form of discretionary housing payments (DHP).

Anyone can apply for a DHP, including homes owners and private tenants, but you have to already be a recipient of benefits to be eligible.

Find out if you are eligible for DHP and how to apply

Risk of homelessness

If you are homeless or worried about becoming homeless, contact the Housing Inclusion team as soon as you can. You can often avoid becoming homeless if you act quickly and get the right help.

Ways we can help prevent you from becoming homeless include:

  • helping you avoid being evicted by a private landlord
  • negotiating with your lender if you’re a homeowner
  • advising you on finding somewhere else to live

Get help if you’re worried about homelessness.

Help with council tax

You could be entitled to a reduction of your council tax bill, for example, if you are on a low income, live alone or share your home with someone who is not your partner and who cannot help you pay rent or council tax.

Find out if your liability is correct.

Council tax discount – people in detention

Discounts will be given to some eligible detainees; however, this discount will not apply if a person is in police custody before their first court appearance or if they are detained for non-payment of council tax or a fine.

To find out if you are entitled to a discount visit our website.

Breathing Space – help with rent or mortgage arrears

To access Breathing Space, you need to speak to a debt advisor. The scheme can help people struggling with debt, including rent or mortgage arrears. Support includes freezing payment demands and legal action while you get free debt advice.

It could also stop or delay eviction for rent arrears or mortgage repossession whilst you are seeking help. It is sometimes called the debt respite scheme.

Find out how to get support with debt or rent arrears

How to deal with mortgage arrears

Shelter has shared advice on how to deal with mortgage arrears. This includes steps on how to increase your income, reduce your outgoings and how to set up an agreement plan with your lender should you need to go down this route.

Find out if the advice can help you by visiting the Shelter website

Helping you Live Well in Greenwich

Live Well Greenwich Line
Call FREE: 0800 470 4831